Types of Acne Scars
Acne scars which affect the skin structure can be categorized according to the shape of the skin defect, as either hypertrophic, rolling, boxcar or icepick. Rolling and boxcar scars are the easiest to treat, while icepick scars are the most difficult.
Overview of Acne Scar Treatment
At PRP Skincare, we have a variety of medical tools for acne scar treatment. Acne is the most common skin disease affecting up to 85% of people from the age of 19-25. Scarring is common with acne, up to 95% of patients will have mild to moderate scarring and 30% will have severe acne scars. Acne scars are generally graded according to the following scale:
|Grade||Disease Level||Clinical Features|
|1||Macular||Reddish, hyper or hypopigmented flat marks (colour problem)|
|2||Mild||Mild scars (atrophic or hypertrophic), may not be noticeable without close inspection; easily covered by makeup.|
|3||Moderate||Moderate scars, visible at social distances, can’t be covered by makeup; scars can be flattened out by stretching out the skin by hand.|
|4||Severe||Severe scars which are noticeable at social distances, can’t be covered by makeup, and can’t be flattened out even with stretching the skin.|
How effective is PRP for Acne Scar Treatment?
Platelet-rich plasma, PRP, contains a rich array of growth factors, and has been used for many years in the fields of orthopedic, sports medicine, and oral and maxillofacial surgery.1 The use of PRP for skin rejuvenation and acne scar treatments is more recent, but many studies are indicating that it can be a safe and effective treatment, especially for mild to moderate acne scars.2–5
How effective is Microneedling for Acne Scar Treatment?
Microneedling, when performed with a well designed device, can be a safe and effective acne scar treatment, especially when combined with PRP.6
Microneedling with PRP is also a powerful way to rejuvenate the face, improve skin texture, minimize pore size, and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.7 It can be especially helpful for skin rejuvenation in the lower eyelid area.8
Combined PRP and Microneedling – a Powerful Duo
One of the most effective treatments for acne scars is a combination of PRP and microneedling, which is also known as the Vampire Facial, a term was invented by Dr. Charles Runels. Dr. Yam is a registered provider of the vampire facial. We combine microneedling with high concentration and high purity PRP to give the best results.
What are different types of Acne Scars Treatment?
Acne scars are treated using a variety of different methods, from skin resurfacing using microdermabrasion, dermabrasion, peels, microneedling, lasers, subscision, dermal filler, PRP, and fractional radiofrequency.
What is the best Acne Scar Treatment?
Once acne scars are established, there is no single treatment which works best for all patients. It’s good to have several treatments available for different types of situations. At our clinic, we consider each patient on an individual basis, using the available tools such as SkinPen microneedling, Venus Viva fractional radiofrequency, PRP injections, manual subscision, and dermal filler. However, the best treatment is prevention, so we will work with you find the best way to prevent active acne breakouts.
How can acne be prevented and treated?
Acne treatments can be divided into topical, systemic, eg. Accutane or oral contraceptives, as well as energy based such as blue-red light devices and lasers. The right treatment will be based on the individual patient’s skin type and medical history, as well as the severity of the acne
- 1.Alves R, Grimalt R. A Review of Platelet-Rich Plasma: History, Biology, Mechanism of Action, and Classification. Skin Appendage Disord. Published online July 6, 2017:18-24. doi:10.1159/000477353
- 2.Lynch MD, Bashir S. Applications of platelet-rich plasma in dermatology: A critical appraisal of the literature. Journal of Dermatological Treatment. Published online October 14, 2015:285-289. doi:10.3109/09546634.2015.1094178
- 3.Schoenberg E, O’Connor M, Wang JV, Yang S, Saedi N. Microneedling and PRP for acne scars: A new tool in our arsenal. J Cosmet Dermatol. Published online May 9, 2019:112-114. doi:10.1111/jocd.12988
- 4.Hashim P, Levy Z, Cohen J, Goldenberg G. Microneedling therapy with and without platelet-rich plasma. Cutis. 2017;99(4):239-242. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28492598
- 5.Peng GL. Platelet-Rich Plasma for Skin Rejuvenation. Facial Plastic Surgery Clinics of North America. Published online August 2019:405-411. doi:10.1016/j.fsc.2019.04.006
- 6.Aust M, Pototschnig H, Jamchi S, Busch K-H. Platelet-rich Plasma for Skin Rejuvenation and Treatment of Actinic Elastosis in the Lower Eyelid Area. Cureus. Published online July 18, 2018. doi:10.7759/cureus.2999
- 7.Hesseler MJ, Shyam N. Platelet-rich plasma and its utility in medical dermatology: A systematic review. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. Published online September 2019:834-846. doi:10.1016/j.jaad.2019.04.037
- 8.Hesseler MJ, Shyam N. Platelet-rich plasma and its utility in the treatment of acne scars: A systematic review. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. Published online June 2019:1730-1745. doi:10.1016/j.jaad.2018.11.029